Reasonable Accommodation

Practice Areas
Reasonable Accommodation

Bay Area Reasonable Accommodation Attorneys

If you suffer from an impairment that substantially limits you in one or more major life activities (some examples are seeing, hearing, walking, breathing, eating, social interaction, taking care of yourself, and having children), then you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation in your workplace. In general, you must be able to perform the essential functions of your job – with or without a reasonable accommodation. So, if you need help to perform these functions, you should request an accommodation. The accommodation you need must not pose an undue hardship for the employer – for example, if you are a receptionist and an essential function of your job is to greet guests at your workplace, you probably cannot be accommodated by asking to spend most of the workweek working from home. On the other hand, if you perform most of your work from your office on your phone and computer, then working from home as an accommodation might be reasonable.

Please contact Bryan Schwartz if you believe you have been denied a reasonable accommodation, or you need a lawyer’s advice in requesting one from your employer.

Be mindful of your deadline to file a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and/or, if your situation arose in California, with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. If you were retaliated against for blowing the whistle on unlawful activity other than discrimination, then read the Whistleblower section.

Looking For
Help With Your
Workplace Concerns?

Bryan Schwartz Law, P.C. is also one of the few Bay Area-based law firms with extensive experience representing Federal employees in their unique Merit Systems Protection Board and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission complaints.

What Our Clients
Say About Us

Contact Us*

Submit an inquiry to have Bryan Schwartz Law, P.C. evaluate your situation.

*Your submission of an intake request form does not guarantee that Bryan Schwartz Law, P.C. will take your case or provide legal advice. You must be offered and sign a representation agreement with the firm before you will receive any legal advice.